Thursday 5 September 2019

Stative verbs

Some English verbs, which we call state, non-continuous or stative verbs, aren't used in continuous tenses (like the present continuous, or the future continuous). These verbs often describe states that last for some time. Here is a list of some common ones:
Stative (or State) Verb List
likeknowbelong
loverealisefit
hatesupposecontain
wantmeanconsist
needunderstandseem
preferbelievedepend
agreeremembermatter
mindrecognisesee
ownappearlook (=seem)
soundtastesmell
hearastonishdeny
disagreepleaseimpress
satisfypromisesurprise
doubtthink (=have an opinion)feel (=have an opinion)
wishimagineconcern
dislikebehave
deserveinvolveinclude
lackmeasure (=have length etc)possess
oweweigh (=have weight)
A verb which isn't stative is called a dynamic verb, and is usually an action.
Some verbs can be both stative and dynamic:
Be
be is usually a stative verb, but when it is used in the continuous it means 'behaving' or 'acting'
  • you are stupid = it's part of your personality
  • you are being stupid = only now, not usually
Think
  • think (stative) = have an opinion
    I think that coffee is great
  • think (dynamic) = consider, have in my head
    what are you thinking about? I'm thinking about my next holiday
Have
  • have (stative) = own
    I have a car
  • have (dynamic) = part of an expression
    I'm having a party / a picnic / a bath / a good time / a break
See
  • see (stative) = see with your eyes / understand
    I see what you mean
    I see her now, she's just coming along the road
  • see (dynamic) = meet / have a relationship with
    I've been seeing my boyfriend for three years
    I'm seeing Robert tomorrow
Taste
  • taste (stative) = has a certain taste
    This soup tastes great
    The coffee tastes really bitter
  • taste (dynamic) = the action of tasting
    The chef is tasting the soup

    ('taste' is the same as other similar verbs such as 'smell')

No comments:

Post a Comment