Monday 30 October 2017

Essential American Slang Words for English Learners (Part 2)

To Chill Out (verb) Everybody loves to chill out but what does it mean? It simply means to relax. Usually it can be used with or without the word ‘out’ and if you’re speaking with a native English speaker they’ll definitely understand.      
Example 1)
“Hey Tommy, what are you guys doing?”
“We’re just chilling (out). Do you want to come round?”
Example 2)
“Sue, what did you do in the weekend?”
“Nothing much. We just chilled (out).”
But if someone tells you need to chill out it’s not as positive. It means that they think you’re overreacting to a situation or getting stressed about silly little things.      
Example 3)
“I can’t believe that test we just had. I’m sure I’m going to fail.”
“You need to chill out and stop thinking too much. I’m sure you’ll be fine.”
Wheels (noun) We know there are many things that have wheels – a car, a motorbike, a bike and even wheelbarrow but when somebody refers to their wheels they are talking about their car.      
Example 1)
“Hey, can you pick me up at 3?”
“Sorry, I can’t. I don’t have my wheels at the moment?”
“Why?”
“I had to take it down to the garage, there’s something wrong with the engine!”
Example 2)
“Nice wheels!”
“Thanks, it was a birthday present from my dad!”
To be amped (adjective) If you’re amped about something, you’re super excited or you can’t wait for something to happen.
Example 1)
“I can’t wait to see Beyonce live!”
“Me too, I’m amped.”
It can also mean you’re really determined and you want something to happen. With this meaning you can also replace amped with pumped. In other words you’re full of adrenalin!       
Example 2)
“I’m so amped for the game tonight!”
“Yeah, I’m sure you are! You guys need to beat the Sox.”


No comments:

Post a Comment